Friday, September 03, 2010

The Million Dollar Birth

Okay, so million dollar may be exaggerating it a bit, but...

So most of this may be boring to you but I had to document it somewhere before I forget all the details. Feel free to just look at the adorable pictures!

It all started at my 32 week appointment. I had started feeling really tired and weak the week before. I thought I was just turning into a lazy person and was so nervous. But I could not get out of bed for anything. If I did do something I ended up needing a nap. My chest hurt, I couldn't breath and I started getting headaches. Well, sure enough, I wasn't going crazy (or lazy). At my doctor's appointment, which I thought would be same old same old, my blood pressure was sky high and I had 4+ protein. I was immediately sent down to labor and delivery where I thought for sure I'd go home that night. No such luck. I was admitted and sent to maternity to wait it out until the baby came. As my blood pressure was on the rise, my protein was at 8 (5 is high) the decision was made to take Charlotte. All the doctors and the non-stress tests assured us that she was and would be fine. On August 10th I was taken to the OR where there are windows that open up to NICU. I was warned she may not cry and I would not get to see her at all. Greg had about 1 second to take a picture. At 1:34 she was born. I could not believe it when they said here she comes and I heard a cry. That was music to my ears. I knew she was breathing at least. She weighed in at 4lbs 9oz and 17 3/4 inches long. Just a tiny thing but much bigger than we thought and had prepared for. Surgery went great and I was back in labor and delivery before I knew it.This is how I first saw her. It was the most scared I have ever been. To see her confined, covered in tubes and wires and there was nothing I could do while laying in my hospital bed and looking at her from afar. Thankfully the nurses were so great and put us right at ease, assuring us that she was fine just having a little trouble opening her lungs completely and this just helped that. Thankfully, the tubes were removed within a day.

This was her first visit from her big sister. That is Tea's hand. It just shows you how small Charlotte was. Just a tiny thing and a four year old hand covered her back. She was born with a ton of blond/brown hair...not red. Crazy!

We had to document every new development. She had to be under lights for a while, which we hated so much because we were limited in how often we could hold her. She was not a fan either. The nurses in the NICU are great. They do scrapbook pages for your baby, weekly feet and hand prints and all sorts of cute things. One of them drew little eyelids and eyelashes on her fashionable protective wear.
My gorgeous sister, Amanda, drove from California to come visit us. It was beyond sweet of her to take the time and drive by herself. We were so lucky and thankful to her for doing it. We loved seeing her and it killed us to have her leave. We miss you so much Amanda and loved having you here.

Finally on Monday we were told that she could be coming home on Tuesday. We were shocked. We didn't expect it to be so quick. The NICU has a service for parents who are about to take their babies home where you can stay in a hotel-like room right next to the NICU so you can get used to a night with your baby in the safety of the hospital. It was wonderful. On Tuesday we were given the go-ahead. We were thrilled. Our little girl came home!!! She is now 5lbs 5.5 oz and doing great. Preemies don't cry often if at all so she is very quiet and sweet. Once she hits term she will begin acting like a full term baby. This to me just means that I get an extra two months to love and cuddle my newborn.

Now all we're working on is getting her big sister to give her some space. She loves Charlotte so much but it's to the point of smothering. I hope the loves continues throughout their lives though Charlotte may not appreciate her sister kissing her so much when she's fourteen!

15 comments:

mead family said...

I sat here reading this and couldn't help but cry. I can't imagine seeing my baby covered in tubes and such. I am so sad I haven't been able to see her yet. She is so beautiful, I love all of the pictures. I love the picture of her and Tea. I can't believe how teeny tiny she is. I am so grateful that she is such a fighter! She is one amazing million dollar baby. I love you guys and miss you SO incredibly much.

Amanda said...

Wow--what a stressful delivery! I am so glad it has all turned out well. She is absolutely beautiful! And, I'm glad Tea loves her so much. It's worlds better than the opposite...

April said...

I am glad you are all home and well now! She is adorable, and I think her hair looks redder in that last picture. Oh and her facial expression is SOOOO cute!

Emily said...

I'm so glad you're both home! Thanks for sharing her story and all the photos, she's so adorable. (And I know what you mean about older siblings being all over the baby, my boys are obsessed with their new baby sister!)

Melanie said...

Wow, she's beautiful! We're so happy you're all home and that you're all healthy. I can't wait to meet her and to see you all again. Charlotte and Adelle are going to have something to talk about. Adelle is getting smothered over here too. I'm so happy that Tea has her sister!

4Girls4Me said...

Wow, Congratulations!! I'm so happy to hear that she is doing well & that you guys are all recovering from her premature arrival. :) She is beyond beautiful. I love the very last picture and of course, the one with her big sister. Precious. Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you have her home. It won't be long before those NICU memories fade away, in so many ways it feels like we were never there or its like a dream.
I think we figured out our twins for 4 weeks stay was just over $600,000, not as bad as I thought it might be.
What a beautiful girl you have.

the watkins said...

I love, love the pictures. What a precious baby! I'm so glad everything went as well as it could, given the situation.

Amber said...

Congratulations, she is so sweet. I wish I could hold her too. What a cutie. I really like the picture of Tea leaning her face close to the baby. Kirstie's baby is so cute too. It's funny to see the size difference.

Ashby said...

She is so cute Jess! So glad to hear that everything went well and that she was finally able to come home. What a blessing!!!!

Lorrie and Mike Eckerdt said...

Jess, I think you gave a mild picture of how sick you were. I think you should have had pictures of Greg, Dad, and me with our very worried looks, before you went into surgery. What a relief to get Greg's text, and picture showing us that both of you were alive. So many little and BIG miracles through all of this. Jackson must have been a great influence on his cousins since they both wanted to come earlier than they were supposed too! Good thing Jamie didn't come any earlier than she did or Charlotte might not have waited as long as she did.

Kelly Goergen said...

WOW. I too am crying as I read your blog. Then reading what your Mom wrote. Geez Jess you must have been so sick. I am so glad and thankful that you and Charlotte are doing so well. You are a truly amazing woman and one day when you tell Charlotte the story of how she entered the world, she too will realize what an amazing woman her Mom is! Love you!

Jessica said...

Thanks everyone!!!!

Mom/Kelly, I did forget to mention that apparently Greg, my Mom and my sisters were planning my funeral. Okay so not really but they were all thinking about me dying. Greg was trying to figure out what he'd do, my Mom was trying to figure out how she'd help Greg and the girls, etc. Pretty scary. I didn't know how sick I was until I felt so much better.

It is crazy to hear that you and your baby are better off with her being a preemie than staying inside you. That's pretty crazy.

Kelly Goergen said...

OMG! Now you can understand how serious it was to bring Charlotte into the world early. Jess, I don't think anyone can put ourselves in your shoes (or flip flops as it probably may be). Just so thankful you are well. How happy you, Greg and your family must be. Keep trying to get Jeff to "move" to UTAH, but he isn't having it! UGH! I do so miss you! Love ya!

Emily said...

I'm so glad things turned out so well. She is beautiful! I'm so happy for you guys!